giovedì 7 giugno 2007

Ubuntu 7.04 on Asus Z53Jr F3Jr

This is how I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my new notebook Asus Z53Jr (or F3Jr).

Disclaimer:
Actually this page is a work in progress... I know it needs some formatting and I want to add more contents in the future so be patient please :)

The notebook specs are:
  • core2duo T7200 2GHz 4Mb cache
  • 2Gb RAM DDR2
  • 160Gb HD
  • ATI X2300 Video Card with 128Mb RAM up to 898Mb shared mem
  • SD Card Reader
  • 1.3 MPx Camera
  • Ethernet + Intel i3945 802.11 a/b/g Wireless
  • Ports 4 USB 2.0, 1 FireWire, VGA out DVI out
this is the lspci output:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller IDE (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 718a
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
06:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0832
06:01.1 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
06:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)
06:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 0a)

Due to the ATI Card issue with Xorg you should intall feisty in textual mode via atlernate CD or DVD.
The system will install without problems. When prompted for the video resolution remember to select 1280x800!
On the first reboot you won't be able to login graphic mode. Login in text mode with your notebook connected to internet via ethernet card and type (look here for a more detailed explanation):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r)
sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
sudo depmod -a
and yes, before you ask it: I'm using the restricted modules.
next configure the video card:
sudo aticonfig --initial
sudo aticonfig --overlay-type=Xv
and reboot
sudo shutdown -r now
at the reboot the system will login via gdm. Now lets take a look to what is working and what not.

Working
  • video card at correct resolution
  • sound (even Fn + F10, F11, F12 keys )
  • sd adapter
  • usb & firewire ports
  • display lamp (even Fn + F5, F6, F7 on/off)
  • other shortcuts Fn + F1, F2 are recognized)
  • the shotcut keys on the top left of the notebook works
  • the microphone (* see note)
  • hibernation
*I've tested the microphone mainly using skype 1.3.0.53 and sometimes worked sometimes not. When it did not work I simply restarted skype and this resolved any issue.

NOT Working
  • the on off pad switch Fn + F9
  • the sleep mode Fn + F1 (the system doesn't wake up correctly, if you can help feel free to contact me)
  • the 1.3MPx camera
Another thing that doesn't work out of the box is the cpu frequency scaling but this issue it's easy to fix:
Edit the /etc/modules file (sudo gedit /etc/modules) and add this line:
acpi-cpufreq
Next: I like to manage the cpu speed via the cpu frequency monitor applet and if you want to do the same you should set the sticky bit to the /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector executable.
sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/cpufreq-selector
You will need two applets (one per core) as the F3Jr is a Core2Duo processor.
That's all for now. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
bye

Updated: 1.3mpx webcam


28 commenti:

bastianazzo ha detto...

ti dispiace se commento in italiano?
just kidding...
i want to say: I have a Z53J Asus laptop which has actually a F3JC motherboard, and I managed to make the webcam run by means of Syntek drivers at http://syntekdriver.sourceforge.net/
Honestly, I don't know if your model is the same, I'm just wondering, but I hope it can help. I'm just a newbie...
bye and good luck!

bastianazzo ha detto...

piccolo suggerimento: metti una virgola tra le etichette (tag) altrimenti le parole non verranno distinte: al momento hai un'unica enorme tag...era questo il tuo scopo? non credo

Terenzio Berni ha detto...

thanks for the link, I'll give it a try as soon as possible.

Anonimo ha detto...

got almost a similar book but core duo t2450
tried to install dreamlinux cause of multimedia but am just a beginner with linux
problems with ati graphics and intel wireless adapter
what are the advantages of ubuntu?

Terenzio Berni ha detto...

I've never used Dreamlinux so I actually don't know all its features.
The major advantage of Ubuntu are:
a vast community that can help you a lot.
a great usability
the support of the restricted modules such as the ati & nvidia drivers
Actually ubuntu has a great multimedia support: I've installed banshee for mp3 & iPod integration and mplayer with win32 & libdvdcss2 codecs (from an external repository) for all the major video formats 'cause I don't like totem-gstreamer (default player) or totem-xine (with better support for a lot of formats)

Andrew McNicol ha detto...

Just wanted to write and say thank you. This install guide worked perfect on my f3jr with Kubuntu 7.04. I wish I'd found this before I downloaded, burnt, and gave up on installing via the standard 'Desktop' CD =)

I'll keep this bookmarked just in case I find a way to enable the extra key functions or the webcam.

Anonimo ha detto...

I fully agree with andrew.
Thanks a lot for your guide.
It works!

hhanff ha detto...

I have to add a few things.
- The network connection was not enabled in my case. To enable it type:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
- At the end I did not restart my computer. Instead I only stopped gdm and restarted it. To do so type:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
That's it.

asux ha detto...

about the problem with fn+f9 > enable/disable touchpad:
does it work @ your nb?

if not, for me it works.
(LinuxMint 3.0 Cassandra, based on Ubuntu)

got the howto from
"http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=218307"

Terenzio Berni ha detto...

for hhanff: thanks for the advice.
for asux: I'll verify the issue and the forum as soon as I can.

Anonimo ha detto...

thank you it worked!

mezhaka ha detto...

have you tried the memory stick? does it works? i'm trying to get it working now...

Terenzio Berni ha detto...

As said in the post I've tried the SDCard reader and it works out-of-the-box in Gusty (and in Feisty also)

Anonimo ha detto...

hey,
how exactly did you get your cpu frequency scaling to work?
I got an Intel Core Duo T2450 processor and ubuntu (7.10) tells me that speed frequency scaling is not enabled.
For it to be enabled do I only have to add the line 'acpi-cpufreq' to the /etc/modules file?
What the next step with the sticky bit? I don't get that.
Would be great if you could help me since I didn't find anything useful on the net. Thx.

Anonimo ha detto...

it's me again. I figured it out myself. That's what I love about Linux in general and ubuntu in special (what's word for not general): with some research you can do nearly anything. even if you don't understand what you type it still works.
Thx again.

André Oliveira ha detto...

FN f9 works for me, its a configuration in xorg.conf. got the latest ati drivers running as well. camera works out of the box. never tried sleeping, ati drivers aren't helpfull on that situation.

pci ha detto...

I've just came across to your blog.
Helpful blog!
Cheers..:-)

Anonimo ha detto...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://girynufe.lookseekpages.com/borofuha.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonimo ha detto...

Good day !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://opikiguk.servetown.com/xydubob.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonimo ha detto...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I make money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I get now up to 2G a day , and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my web site to get additional info.

http://theblogmoney.com

Anonimo ha detto...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For several years , I make money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and I started with funny 500 bucks.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my blog to get additional info.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonimo ha detto...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Now, I feel good, I begin take up real money.
It's all about how to select a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the profit with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonimo ha detto...

Pardon

Anonimo ha detto...

There is no doubt in my mind what so ever that Profit lance will show you how to make money online, but there are many obstacles your going to face in order to do it or to get to where I am at. What I mean is, there's allot of information, tools and resources in this course that your going to have to get familiarized with before you can become successful. Yes you will earn money but to make a living out of it your going to really need to understand how everything works.
www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Anonimo ha detto...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can say that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is even now a definitely as you did in the decrease delivery of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=lyrics tiger rag ?
I noticed the utter you have in the offing not used. Or you functioning the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg

Anonimo ha detto...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how modern society has evolved to become so integrated with technology. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about almost every day.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.livejournal.com/398.html]nintendo dsi r4i[/url] DS NetServ)

Anonimo ha detto...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can reveal that I agree with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is even now a definitely as you did in the decrease issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=avira antivir premium security suite 7.06.00.166 ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have in the offing not used. Or you use the black methods of development of the resource. I take a week and do necheg

Anonimo ha detto...

I am not sure.
---------------------------------------------------------
Signature:buy levitra professional online myc