domenica 4 maggio 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on Asus Z53Jr

On April the 24th the final version of Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" was released.
In this post I'll evaluate how well it fits on my Asus Z53Jr Laptop.

My notebook (which is now a years old but still amazingly fast) specs are:
  • Intel Core2duo T7200 2GHz 4Mb cache
  • 2Gb RAM DDR2
  • 160Gb HD
  • 15" 1280x800 TFT screen
  • ATI X2300 Video Card with 128Mb RAM up to 898Mb shared memory
  • SD Card Reader
  • 1.3 MPx Camera
  • Network: Ethernet + Intel i3945 802.11 a/b/g Wireless
  • Ports: 4 USB 2.0, 1 FireWire, VGA out DVI out
One year ago I've installed Ubuntu 7.04 wich I've later upgraded to 7.10.
This time I wanted to see all the improvements of a "fresh" distro so I backup-ed all my data and I went for a fresh install.

I've downloaded the standard cd, burnt it and rebooted the system. The I selected my keyboard ad proceeded with the live distro so I could access the graphic installer from it.
The live cd worked fine recognizing the correct screen resolution (1280x800) and the intel wireless also.

I clicked on the install and a wonderful installation process reduced to 7 easy steps let me tell Ubuntu all It needs for the installation BEFORE it started leaving me free to play with my baby or watch tv while the installation procedure took care of everything!

At the end of the process the only thing I've had to do was to reboot my system which was perfectly usable (see previous post for the problems on 7.04 if interesed).

The wireless card was recognized without any problems, and the only thing I've had to do was to insert my WPA key to enable the network.
I don't have an ethernet plug near my notebook so wifi is the only chance to have an internet access for me.

The repositories (just a suggestion)

Having my internet access out of the book before trying everything else I've enabled all the official repositories and added the medibuntu repositories. If you want to add this repository too please refer to the howto on medibuntu's website.
In medibuntu you can find acrobat reader, google-earth, skype all packaged and ready to be downloaded.

ATI Card (Restricted Modules)
The default driver used by Ubuntu is the free ati one. If you want the ati proprietary driver (fglrx), and I suggest this if you want applications like google-earth to work open a prompt and type in

sudo apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx

after this select the restricted driver from System -> Administation -> Hardware Drivers and reboot.

Composite and OpenGL Support


The fglrx driver developed by amd-ati is now at a decent level of development which means that you can use composite without problems.
You can even use openGL without any major problems.
The point is: you can use them individually but not together!
If you try to do so (try to open google-earth with composite enable) the 3D rendering will flicker resulting in an unasable application.
This is not Ubuntu's fault but a problem related with the fglrx driver itself.
The truth is that I don't really care much of all the fancy composite stuff so this is not a big problem to me.

Suspend & Hibernate
In ubuntu 8.04 they work PERFECTLY out of the box! This is fantastic considering that we are talking about a notebook. Really a great improvement compared to the previous versions of Ubuntu.

Function Keys and Extra Keys
The notebook has 5 keys near the power button. None of them is working. They work in Vista, which came preinstalled on the notebook, using a special application made by Asus running in background.
If you know hot to make them work fell free to contact me.
There is another series of special keys (Fn keys):
  • Fn+F1 (suspend) works
  • Fn+F2 (enable disable wireless) not working
  • Fn+F3 (opens the mail client, or anything you prefer) works
  • Fn+F4 (opens the browser) not working
  • Fn+F5-F6 (display brightness up/down) working
  • Fn+F7 (toggles the display lamp on/off) woks
  • Fn+F8 (external display) not tried yet
  • Fn+F9 (enables/disables touchpad) not working
  • Fn+F10-F11-F12 (audio on/off, down, up) working
1.3 Mpixel Camera & Microphone
The 1.3 Mpixel camera & the integrated microphone are working perfectly out of the box. I've tested them using skype 2.x. & the sound recorder tool.
The only thing I've had to do was to enable Capture in the sound volume panel and try out some setting of Front Mic & Front Mic Boost to adjust the recording level.

Firefox 3 (beta 5)???
The only thing in which I have some doubts at the moment is the presence (by default) of firefox 3 beta 5 and not the old (but stable) firefox 2.
From this beta you can see that the new firefox will be an absolutely good browser but at present there are some little things that do not convince me:
  1. the "page loading" rolling icon on the tab never stops even when the page is fully loaded
  2. google browser sync plug-in at present isn't compatible with the new firefox... is you are used to google browser sync as I am this is really annoying.
I'll try it out for for another week but I'll probably switch back to firefox 2 (which is donwloadable from the official repositories of course).

Final Thoughts
In my opinion Ubuntu 8.04 it's a great improvement compared to 7.04 (and 7.10 of course).
This distro resolves a lot of problems present in previous releases.
  1. No need for the alternate cd anymore. You can do the live install procedure without problems.
  2. Improvement in hardware management: wireless card, web camera, function keys
  3. Better fglrx driver "out of the box" (after enabling the restricted modules of course)
  4. Great suspend and hibernate (a must for a notebook)
I think that if you have a notebook you should give it a try... expecially with hardware similar to mine.

As usual feel free to contact me if you have any doubts. I'm not a linux geek of fanatic but a java programmer but if I can give you some help you're welcome.

5 commenti:

Anonimo ha detto...

hey. i can confirm almost everything you wrote about ubuntu 8.04 and asus z53jr.
that's amazing.
at this moment, my webcam isn't working.
did you find out something about the special keys on the top right (near power button) ?
on my book only one of them is working: the touchpad en/disable key and also the fn+f9 key for the same function.
all in all it's a big step forward with ubuntu on notebooks. even suspend mode worked while running only the live-cd.
greetings from germany [asux]

Terenzio Berni ha detto...

I've not tried to fix the keys on the top left 'cause I don't really care of...
At present I've installed and configured subversion and vmware. In the next days, time permitting, I'll post something about it.
As said I've tried the webcam with skype 2.0 downloaded from medibuntu's repository and it worked fine without any kind of tweaks. If you look in my previous posts I tried the syntekdriver at http://syntekdriver.sourceforge.net/
The webcam worked but with an orrible color shema.

Anonimo ha detto...

You can make the touchpad key work by this way:
Install gsynaptics
$ sudo apt-get install gsynaptics

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
This tools can be used only if "SHMConfig" "true" in the section
of synaptics driver in xorg.conf or XF86Config.

Example:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "true"
EndSection

Darío Madrid ha detto...

Hi, I've got an Asus Pro031, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 and I can't listen anything, Could you explain me how to install my soundcard? Thanks for your help.

Darío.

Anonimo ha detto...

[u][b]Xrumer[/b][/u]

[b]Xrumer SEO Professionals

As Xrumer experts, we have been using [url=http://www.xrumer-seo.com]Xrumer[/url] for the benefit of a wish immediately for the time being and grasp how to harness the massive power of Xrumer and turn it into a Bills machine.

We also purvey the cheapest prices on the market. Numberless competitors devise order 2x or consistent 3x and a lot of the opportunity 5x what we pervade you. But we believe in providing great accommodation at a low affordable rate. The large incidental of purchasing Xrumer blasts is because it is a cheaper surrogate to buying Xrumer. So we aim to abide by that thought in recollection and yield you with the cheapest standing possible.

Not simply do we cause the unexcelled prices but our turnaround heyday payment your Xrumer posting is super fast. We drive have your posting done before you discern it.

We also cater you with a full log of loaded posts on different forums. So that you can notice over the extent of yourself the power of Xrumer and how we hold harnessed it to emoluments your site.[/b]


[b]Search Engine Optimization

Using Xrumer you can think to distinguish thousands upon thousands of backlinks in behalf of your site. Myriad of the forums that your Site you settle upon be posted on have exalted PageRank. Having your link on these sites can really serve establish up some crown grade help links and uncommonly riding-boot your Alexa Rating and Google PageRank rating owing to the roof.

This is making your put more and more popular. And with this inflate in celebrity as superbly as PageRank you can expect to witness your area definitely filthy high in those Search Locomotive Results.
Traffic

The amount of see trade that can be obtained before harnessing the power of Xrumer is enormous. You are publishing your plat to tens of thousands of forums. With our higher packages you may equivalent be publishing your site to HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of forums. Create 1 post on a popular forum disposition almost always rig out 1000 or so views, with announce ' 100 of those people visiting your site. Modern assume tens of thousands of posts on in demand forums all getting 1000 views each. Your traffic liking function because of the roof.

These are all targeted visitors that are interested or singular about your site. Deem how assorted sales or leads you can succeed in with this titanic number of targeted visitors. You are in fact stumbling upon a goldmine bright to be picked and profited from.

Reminisce over, Above is Money.
[/b]

BECOME ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT YOUR CHEAP BLAST TODAY:


http://www.xrumer-seo.com